Sunday, September 13, 2009

Comparison between student lives in Eau Claire, USA and student lives in Vientiane, Laos

VS



It has been my pleasure to come to study in Eau Claire. I have been here for two months, and I have learned a lot about campus lives in UWEC.

At the Lao-American College, the school that I have studied for three years before I came here, students rarely live in dorms, and I don't either. Because Vientiane is not a very big city, most students have their owns vehicles to school. Unlike in Laos, American students mostly live in campus.

In my home country, it is a rule that all the students wear uniforms to school. I did wear with shirt and black pants to classes; otherwise, I would be considered rude to the teachers and get a punishment by being deducted my grade in the exam. In contrast, people never care about uniform in America. I am free. I can dress any thing that I want to school. And I like this much better than a formal uniform.

Besides all kinds of the differences, we still have the similarities. People are friendly and helpful. I sometimes miss home but sometimes I don't at all. In Eau Claire, I feel that every one is my good friends. whenever I stay with American friends, I can feel the kindness and helpfulness from their speakings and their actions. That is similar to people in Laos. And now homesickness is not a problem for me anymore.

All in all, sometimes I feel that studying in my home country and here the United States of America is totally different. But in some ways, it is very similar. Unlike in the U.S.A. we wear uniforms at home, don't live in dorm. By the way, we have one similar characteristic which is friendliness. And that makes me love here Eau Claire a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Wow.. KK, that is a big difference. In Malaysia, we do have dorms in University. We called it hostel. Normally, students like to live off campus.. this is because they do not need to adhere to hostel rules. They can do whatever they like. However, in Public Universities, freshman must live in University Hostel for at least 1 year then only can move out. Luckily, It is not applicable in my College.

    ReplyDelete